18 Tucker Street
Ontario Tourism Region : Kawartha and Northumberland
- Serving Apsley, North Kawartha, Haliburton, Hastings, Peterborough County and surrounding area for over 60 years.
- Apsley Home Hardware Building Centre (HHBC) has had a presence in the community for over 60 years but has had its new name Apsley HHBC since 2007.
- The company was originally founded as N.H. Wilson Building Supplies in 1952 by Norman H. Wilson and was considered by Norm as a natural extension of sawing his own logs to build a cottage.
- Back then, lumber was purchased from local mills, but as the number of cottages and homes being built in the area increased, the local mills could no longer keep up with the demand.
- As a result, lumber from major North American mills was purchased and delivered to Lakefield by rail where they were unloaded by hand and trucked to Apsley on Norm’s transport trucks.
- Norm operated the business for 19 years from his home office before retiring and passing it on to his daughter Marney and her husband Steve Metrow.
- Steve and Marney converted a two bay garage into a store and office from where they ran the business for the next 32 years. In 2003 Steve and Marney retired and sold the business to Kim and Joyce Dunford.
- Drawing on generations of local family business experience dating from 1902 to their own operation of a successful contracting company for 25 years,
- Kim and Joyce proudly built on the N.H. Wilson tradition within the Apsley community by expanding and modernizing the business.
- In 2007 they decided to take the business a step forward by bringing the services of a Home Building Centre to Apsley and in 2009 they built a new store located at 18 Tucker Street.
- Today, Kim and Joyce independently own Apsley HHBC and continue to grow the business to help meet their customers’ unique needs while proudly maintaining a focus on quality customer service and friendly advice.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/ApsleyHomeHardware