31 Hastings St. Box 40
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Ontario's Highlands
- Pop. 3,512. In Faraday T., Hastings C., on theYork R. and Hwys 28 & 62, 104 km NE of Peterborough.
- Settled by the Clark family in 1853 and known as The Branch, then York Branch, then York Mills.
- When the post office was established in 1861 the community was called York River.
- In 1879, the community's leading businessman, Billa Flint, later a senator, renamed it Bancroft in honour of his wife, the former Phoebe Bancroft.
- In 1873 Bancroft was the eastern terminus of The Monck Rd., built from L. Couchiching to Bancroft as a settlement road and a military route between the Upper Great Lakes and the Ottawa Valley.
- Lumbering and a wool mill built Bancroft. In 1949, prospector Arthur Shore discovered uranium.
- Production started in 1957 and continued until the early 1960s. The Bancroft area contains many types of minerals and the annual Rockbound Gemboree draws gemologists from across North America.
Natural Resources Canada in Hastings County.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/bancroft