Ontario Tourism Region : Huron, Perth, Waterloo and Wellington
- Pop. 3,126. In Nichol T., Wellington C., on the GrandR. at Irvine Cr. and C. Rds. 21 & 86, 24 km. NW of Guelph.
- First known as Irvine Settlement and nicknamed 'City of Rocks,' the settlement was founded in 1832 by retired British officer Capt. William Gilkison.
- He named the place Elora after his brother's ship, which in turn had been named after the cave temples of Ellora, India. Roswell Matthews built a house at the site in 1817.
- He had been commissioned to build a mill, but after floods swept away a number of his efforts, he abandoned the project. The fIve-story limestone mill built in 1859 now is a posh inn.
- Long-time resident Charles Clarke (1826-1909) was a prominent fIgure in the radical reform movement in Ontario. He played a major role in drafting the Clear Grit platform in 1851, whose policies included representation by population and secret ballot.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/elora