100 Park St,
Ontario Tourism Region : The Great Waterway
- Pop. 4,971. In Front of Leeds and Lansdowne Ts., Leeds and Grenville Cs., on the St. Lawrence R. at the mouth of the Gananoque R. and C. Rds. 2 & 32, 29 km E of Kingston.
- United Empire Loyalist Co!. Joel Stone, who settled on his grant of 700 acres (283.5 ha) and built a mill in 1792, is considered to be the first settler.
- A First Nations Peoples name, meaning 'rocks rising out of the water,' Gananoque had up to 52 different spellings until the post office opened in 1817. One of the fIrst skirmishes of the War of 1812 took place at Gananoque.
- An American contingent under Capt. Benjamin Forsyth, having forced the retreat ofthe Canadian militia, attacked the settlement, seized the government stores, and burned the depot.
- Stone's wife was wounded by a random shot. In 1826, Charles McDonald who had become Stone's partner and married his daughter, built the largest flour mill in the province, which produced 25 percent of all the flour sent to Montreal.
- Thousand Islands International Bridge is 15 km E of Gananoque at turnoff661 from Hwy 401. The structure was opened in 1938 by Prime Minister Mackenzie King and President Theodore Roosevelt.
- The international bridge system contains five separate bridges with connecting viaducts and highways, which together cover a distance of 13 km.
- Postcards above used with permission from A Great Lakes Treasury of Old Postcards 2007 Lorenzo Marcolin, MD 176 pp. For Copies call the Huronia Museum 705 526 2844 or email email@example.com
Natural Resources Canada in Leeds and Grenville County.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/gananoque