2 Main St. W.
Ontario Tourism Region : Muskoka, Parry Sound and Algonquin Park
- Pop. 14,588. In the Dist. Mun. of Muskoka on the Muskoka R. between Vernon and Fairy Ls.,just SE of the intersection of Hwys 11 & 60, 35 km. N of Brace bridge.
- The first documented visitor to the area was William Cann, who came to hunt, and the fIrst settler was James F. Haines, who built a home at the east end of Hunter's Bay.
- The township was surveyed in 1869, and in that year retired army officer, Capt. George Hunt, settled at what was then known as Fairy Lake Junction.
- Hunt was a teetotaler, who divided his land and sold lots with a 'no drinking' clause written in the deeds.
- It is said this is why Huntsville grew on the west side of the Muskoka R. where there are difficult hills, rather than on Hunt's flat lots on the east side.
- George Hunt was the first postmaster and named the place after himself when the post office opened in 1870. In 1894 frre destroyed the business district and many homes. Huntsville Pioneer Village opened in 1961.
- It's now called Muskoka Pioneer Village and has 14 historic buildings on a 33-acre (13.36 ha) site.
- In 1873 a Wesleyan Methodist congregation built a square-timb¬ered church about 6 kIn S of Huntsville on Madill Church Rd. The church, named after John Madill who donated the land, is one of the area's many tourist attractions.
Natural Resources Canada in the District of Muskoka.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/huntsville