Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Ontario's Highlands
- Pop. 239. In Kennebec T., Frontenac C., on Big Clear L. and C. Rd. 15.2 km. S of Hwy 7, 19 km. E ofKaladar, 64 km. NW of Kingston.
- Early settlers were Anglo-Saxons and French, most United Empire Loyalists.
- In the early 1850s the Rathbun Lumber Company set up just N of Arden, creating many jobs and attracting more settlers, some of whom created grain-growing and dairy businesses.
- The community was fIrst known as Clear Valley, but changed to Arden when the post office was established in 1865.
- The name may have been inspired by Alfred Lord Tennyson's recently-published poem Enoch Arden. In 1882 the Ontario and Quebec Railway built their line through Arden and called the station Ardendale.
- The construction of Hwy 7 in 1932 killed the railroad and the last train called in 1967. From 1914 to 1920, Edward Barker provided electricity for homes and street lights from a waterwheel on Arden Cr.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/arden