1 Main E.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : The Great Waterway
- Pop. 938. In Yonge and Escott Ts., Leeds and Grenville Cs., on C. Rds. 5,40 & 42, 25 km. W of Brockville.
- The first settler was John Dixon in 1784, and the settlement was called Dixon's Corner until the post office opened in 1836 as Farmersville.
- One of the first agricultural exhibitions in Ontario was held here, and it was the site of one of the fIrst sanatoria in the province.
- In 1888 prosperous merchant Arza Parish suggested the name Athens because, like its namesake in Greece, the town had become an educational centre.
- It had a grammar school in 1860, a model school in 1877, and a high school in 1888. Since 1986 the town has invited artists to create large murals on the outside walls of buildings as a tourist attraction.
Natural Resources Canada in Leeds and Grenville County.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/athens