199 Hwy # 28,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Kawartha and Northumberland
- Pop. 294. In South Monaghan T., Peterborough C., on C. Rds. 2 & 28, 22 km. NW of Port Hope.
- By the 1860s, the community, founded by United Empire Loyalists, had been known for some time as Bloomfield. Because there was another community of the same name, a name change was required before a post office could be established.
- James Aiken suggested Bailieboro, for his hometown in Ireland, and the post office took that name in 1861.
- An historic plaque at the Pengelley Burying Ground, six Ian E of Bailieboro, recalls Joseph Medlicott Scriven (1819-1886), of County Down, Ireland.
- After coming to Upper Canada in 1847, he was engaged by Robert Pengelley as tutor to his children and lived in the Rice L. area. He was the author of the hymn, What a Friend We Have in Jesus.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/Bailieboro