58 Dalhousie St
Ontario Tourism Region : Hamilton, Halton, and Brant
Pop. 80,436. City in Brant C. on the Grand R. and Hwy 403 and C. Rds. 2,24, and 53, 38 km. W of Hamilton.
One of Brantfords most important tourist attractions is Her Majestys Royal Chapel of the Mohawks. The beautifully wrought frame chapel of St. Pauls was built in 1785 with funds given to Joseph Brant by George III.
The post office was established and named Brantford in 1825. Brantford calls itself The Telephone City because the device was invented in 1874 at nearby Tutela Heights by Alexander Graham Bell, whose family home is preserved here as a museum.
Also on the site is Canadas first telephone office building, which was set up in the home of Rev. Thomas Henderson in 1877. When Henderson realized the economic potential of the telephone, he resigned the Baptist ministry to administer the office.
Another nickname for Brantford is Combine Capital of the World, because on a farm just outside the city, Alanson Harris produced the first Canadian-designed farm machine, a business that grew into the giant Massey-Ferguson Company.
The first railway sleepercar was also produced at Brantford. Brantford was the home of Hon. Arthur Sturgis Hardy (1837 -1901).
Brantford native Lawren Harris (1885-1970), was a member of the Group of Seven Canadian painters. Journalist and author Sara Jeannette Duncan (1861-1922) was also born in Brantford and earned international recognition for her writing.
William Charles Good (1876-1967) was a leading spokesman for agrarian and cooperative movements.
Brantford can also claim having Canadas first female medical doctor, though she was unlicenced at the time.
She graduated in 1867, set up an office in Toronto and attracted many female patients. Then a law was passed in Ontario requiring all doctors to attend lectures at a medical school here.
Jennie Kidd Trout was Canadas first licenced woman physician in 1875; Stowe didn''''t get her licence until 1880. One of the oldest national organizations of musicians in Canada was established in Brantford in 1909.
In 1872 The Ontario School for the Blind opened in Brantford with 11 pupils. By 1881 more than 200 students were receiving academic instruction combined with manual and vocational training at what is now the W. Ross Macdonald School.
Mini-bio: Emily Pauline Johnson
Emily Pauline Johnson (1861-1913) was born on the Six Nations
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/brantford