200 Ontario St.,
Ontario Tourism Region : Kawartha and Northumberland
- Pop. 15,426. In Hamilton T., Northumberland C., on L. Ontario at Factory Cr. and C. Rds. 2 & 45,just S ofHwy 401,114 km. E of Toronto.
- The first settler, Eluid Nickerson, arrived in 1798 and built a log cabin. The settlement was first known as Buckville after early settler Elijah Buck, then Amberst, and then Hamilton, after the township.
- The pioneers nicknamed it Hardscrabble. In 1822 the post office name was changed to Cobourg to commemorate the marriage of Princess Charlotte to Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg, Germany.
- (The extra 0 in Cobourg is believed to have been an error made by a clerk.) The town has a magnifIcent hall built between 1856 and 1860 when residents believed their town could be chosen capital of Upper Canada.
- Victoria Hall, one of Canada's most elegant buildings, serves as the Cobourg Town Hall and Northumberland County Court House. Hon. James Cockburn (1819-1883) practiced law in Cobourg and represented the area in the legislature.
- He was a Father of Confederation as one of the delegates from Canada West at the Quebec Conference in 1864. Marie Dress¬ler, Canada's fIrst Oscar-winning actress, in 1930, was born Leila Marie Koerber in Cobourg in 1869.
- The house where she was born is now a museum.
- Postcard above used with permission from A Great Lakes Treasury of Old Postcards 2007 Lorenzo Marcolin, MD 176 pp. For Copies call the Huronia Museum 705 526 2844 or email email@example.com
Natural Resources Canada in Northumberland County.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/cobourgontario