31 Coldwater Rd.,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Bruce Peninsula, Southern Georgian Bay and Lake Simcoe
- Pop. 1,195. In Medonte T., Simcoe C., on the Coldwater R. and '. Hwys 12 & 17, 19 km NW of Orillia.
- George Cowan, known to his French Canadian employees as Jean-Baptiste Constant, established an inependent trading post on Matchedash Bay,11 km NW of present-day Coldwater, in 1770.
- His fur dealing territory likely included most of presentday Simcoe, Muskoka, and Haliburton. Coldwater was first inhabited by a band of Chippawas under Chief John Aisance, who settled from 1830-38, calling the place Gissinausebing, meaning 'cold water'.
- In 1833 Chief Aisance built a grist mill to serve residents of the Coldwater Reserve. Although the reserve was relinquished to European settlement in 1836 the mill was owned by First Nations Peoples until 1849.
- The post office was established in 1835 as Coldwater. The 1840-vintage log house built by Scottish settler Archibald Woodrow, is now part of a museum complex.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/coldwaterontario