108 2nd St. W.,
Ontario Tourism Region : The Great Waterway
- Pop. 46,802. City in Stormont, Dundas, and Glengarry Cs., on the St. Lawrence R. at the mouth of the Cornwall Canal and Hwys 2 & 138 just S of Hwy 401, 112 km SE of Ottawa and 110 km SW of Montreal.
- The city was foun¬ded about 1780 by United Empire Loyalists. The post office, called New Johnstown, was established in 1789.
- The name likely came from an older Johnstown in the Mohawk Valley, former home of some settlers. In 1797 the name was changed to Cornwall in honour of Prince George, Duke of Cornwall, eldest son of King George III.
- A canal starting here around the Long Sault Rapids opened in 1843. It was in a Cornwall cotton mill that Thomas A. Edison started his first plant for lighting by electricity.
- A bridge links Cornwall with New York State, just east of Massena. Rev. John Strachan (1778-1867) came to Upper Canada from Scotland in 1799. He was appointed a missionary here, built the first Anglican church and established a school for boys.
- An historic plaque recalls the Glengarry Fencibles, a fighting force raised from the Highland settlers of the area who distinguished themselves during the War of 1812 at the battles of Ogdensburg, Lundy's Lane, and Fort Erie.
- Postcards above used with permission from A Great Lakes Treasury of Old Postcards 2007 Lorenzo Marcolin, MD 176 pp. For Copies call the Huronia Museum 705 526 2844 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Natural Resources Canada in Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry County.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/cornwallontario