196 Main St.,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Southwestern
- Pop. 2,589. In Camden T., Kent C., on the Sydenham R., 28 km. from its mouth in Mitchell Bay, L. St. Clair, and C. Rds. 21 & 29, 26 km. N of Chatham.
- The first settler was Jared Lindsley in 1825. The community was first called Fairport, but when the post office opened in 1852 it was named Dresden after the German city.
- Prior to 1840, some fugitive slaves from the U.S. had settled in the area.
- In 1841, Rev. Josiah Henson, a Maryland-born former slave who had escaped to Canada in 1830, bought 200 acres (81 ha) ofland near here with the help of abolitionists and opened a vocational school for fugitive slaves called the British American Institute
- Henson was immortalized in Harriet Beecher Stowe's novel Uncle Tom's Cabin. His former house and other buildings are now a museum.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/dresden