18 Ogilvie St.,
Ontario Tourism Region : Hamilton, Halton, and Brant
- op. 23,036. In Reg. Mun. of Hamilton-Wentworth on Hwy 8, 6 km W of Hamilton Harbour at the west end of L. Ontario and 3 km W of the City of Hamilton.
- The first settler, in 1787, was Anne Morden, a United Empire Loyalist widow. She and her children were granted most of the land that now comprises the north half ofthe Town of Dundas.
- In 1837 the Desjardins Canal was opened to link Dundas to the shipping trade on L. Ontario. It contributed to the economic development of the area, but began to fall into disuse after the opening of the Great Western Railway in 1853.
- The place was frrst known as Coote's Paradise after a Capt. Thomas Coote, who frequently hunted waterfowl there. The first post office, in 1814, was named Dundas after the Hon. Henry Dundas, British secretary of state for war and the Colonies.
- Dundas Town Hall, completed in 1849, is one of very few remaining municipal buildings in Ontario from the pre-1850 period. It was designed by a local contractor in the massive, unornamented Roman Classic style.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/dundas