164 Lambton St. E.,
Ontario Tourism Region : Bruce Peninsula, Southern Georgian Bay and Lake Simcoe
- Pop. 2,507. In Bentinck & Glenelg Ts., Grey C., on the Saugeen R. and Hwy 6 and C. Rd. 4, 45 km. SE of Owen Sound.
- In 1842 a Scotsman named Archibald Hunter led a group of settlers north on the Garafraxa Colonization Rd., which ran between Arthur and present-day Owen Sound. They built a log house near the present townsite.
- A post office called Bentinck, after the T., was opened in 1847. The township had been named in 1850 after Lord George Bentinck, a close relative of Queen Victoria.
- In 1857 Crown Lands Agent George Jackson changed the name to Durham after County Durham, his home county in England.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/durham