52 Main N.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Huron, Perth, Waterloo and Wellington
- Pop. 673. In Tuckersmith T., Huron C., on the BayfIeld R. and at the junction of C. Rds. 3 and 12, 40 km NW of Stratford.
- After service in the Napoleonic Wars, Col. Anthony Van Egmond, a Dutchman, came to Upper Canada and built the Huron Rd. from Guelph to Goderich for the Canada Company.
- . He settled in Huron C. in 1828 and became a major landowner in the Huron Tract.
- The Canada Company built a dam and mill just east of Egmondville in 1833 to promote settlement and promised Van Egmond a 200-acre site for a school and a church for the new settlement.
- Van Egmond proceeded at his own expense to clear the land, built the school and hired a schoolmaster. Between 60 and 100 families moved to the area, but the Canada Company refused to give Van Egmond the land he had been promised.
- Van Egmond then stood, unsuccessfully, as a Reform candidate for election to the provincial legislature in 1835.
- He then became a strong supporter of William Lyon Mackenzie and led the rebel forces in the skirmish at Montgomery's Tavern in 1837. He was imprisoned in Toronto and died while awaiting trial.
- Van Egmond' s son Constant owned a grist mill, flour mill and distillery and had the largest house in the community.
- He served as the village magistrate and since there was no jail, he had the cellar windows of his house barred and housed prisoners there.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/egmondville