72 Front St.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Northwest Ontario
- Pop. 1,077. In Lash T., Rainy River Dist., on Rainy R. and Hwys II & 602, 37 km. W of Fort Frances.
- The community began as a stopover for river boats bringing settlers. The post office, opened in 1887, was called Emo River after a river in County Laois, Ireland.
- . A decade later the name was abridged to Emo. One of the smallest churches in the world was built here in 1973 from the spire ofSt. Patrick's Catholic Church.
- In 1971 lightning struck an iron cross atop St. Patrick's and fire broke out. At the height of the blaze the wooden steeple, complete with cross, fell into the blazing church, but didn't bum.
- The steeple forms the roof of a 2.4 metre by 3 metre (8 X 10 foot) non-denominational house of prayer beside Hwy 11, just west of Emo. It's called The Norland Chapel after Elmer Norlund who built it.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/emoontario