67 John St.
Ontario Tourism Region : Kawartha and Northumberland
- Pop. 10,962. In Hope T., Northumberland C., on L. Ontario at the mouth of the Ganaraska R. and C. Rds. 2 & 28,102 km NE of Toronto.
- In 1670 a Cayuga First Nations Peoples village called Ganaraski was on the site and, in a survey in 1791, the village was referred to as Pemetaeeutiang.
- By 1778 Peter Smith was operating a trading post, and the place was called Smith's Creek. The first permanent settler was Myndert Harris, a United Empire Loyalist, who arrived in 1793.
- By 1817 the place was called Toronto, but to avoid confusion with the former town of York, the name was changed to Port Hope after Col. Henry Hope, Lt.-Gov. of Quebec 1785-1789.
- Postcard above used with permission from A Great Lakes Treasury of Old Postcards 2007 Lorenzo Marcolin, MD 176 pp. For Copies call the Huronia Museum 705 526 2844 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Natural Resources Canada in Northumberland County.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/porthope