106 First NW.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Northwest Ontario
- Pop. 2,555. In Ashmore T., Thunder Bay Dist. on the CNR and Hwy 584, 6 km N of Hwy 11,270 km NE of Thunder Bay.
- The town name is an abridged compound of Fitzgerald and Errington, two men who fInanced mines when gold was discovered near Kenogamisis L. in 1931.
- The post office opened as Geraldton in 1933. Before the post office opened the settlement was known as Oklend, sometimes misspelled as Oklene, and Little Longlac.
- During peak production 12 mines were in operation, and when the last mine closed in 1971, more than $156 million in gold had been produced.
- The MacLeod Mine headframe is just south of Gerald ton at the junction of Hwys. 11 & 584.
- This mine produced more than two million ounces of gold between 1936 and 1970 before the ore vein petered out.
- The 'Glory Hole' is .6 km. E of the junction on the S side of Hwy 11. It is a large deep crater created by MacLeod gold miners.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/geraldton