41 Main St.,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Southwestern
- Pop. 328. In Biddulph T., Middlesex C., on C. Rds. 47, 59 & 151, 28 km N of London.
- Brothers Alexander, William, and James Grant and William Levitt and George Foreman settled the place around 1842, but the community grew slowly until the arrival in the 1860s of the Grand Trunk Railway.
- At that time a name was needed for the settlement and the issue divided the residents.
- The Grant brothers suggested Granton; Levitt and Foreman favoured Amwik, a First Nations Peoples word for 'beaver.'
- At an open meeting, residents drew lots from a hat. Amwik was drawn but was rejected by both the post office and the railway.
- A Mr. Christie, local superintendent of the railway, had come from a village in Scotland named Granton, so the Grant brothers got their wish.
- Some residents remained unhappy over the choice. For years the north side of the railway tracks was known as Granton and the south side was called Amwik.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/granton