2 Main St. W.
Ontario Tourism Region : Niagara Falls and Wine Country
- Pop. 19,262. In the Reg. Mun. of Niagara, on the S shore of L. Ontario at Forty Mile Cr. and the QEW, 26 km. SE of Hamilton.
- United Empire Loyalists began a settlement in 1783 when the place was known as The Forty because of its location at the mouth of Forty Mile Cr.
- It was also called Butlersburg for Col. John Butler, a United Empire Loyalist whose troops were early settlers.
- A town meeting held on April 5, 1790, at present-day Grimsby, which was then called Township # 6, marked the beginning of local self government in what is now Ontario.
- Such matters as the height of fences and the registration of livestock brands were discussed at the meeting.
- St. Andrews Anglican Church, completed in 1825, was the third church built on the site by a congregation formed almost 40 years earlier.
- The post office was established as Grimsby in 1816, named after a town in Lincolnshire, England, now in Humberside.
- Postcard above used with permission from A Great Lakes Treasury of Old Postcards 2007 Lorenzo Marcolin, MD 176 pp. For Copies call the Huronia Museum 705 526 2844 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Natural Resources Canada in the Region of Niagara.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/grimsbyontario