Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Hamilton, Halton, and Brant
- Pop. 270. In South Dumfries T., Brant C., on Fairchild Cr., 14 km. NE of Brant ford. Originally known as Vroomania, after the first settler,
- A. N. Vrooman who arrived in 1855. For a time the place was called Carstairs, but later named Harrisburg after the Harris family, one of whom was the blacksmith.
- Harrisburg came into being as a shipping point on the Great Western Railway. The train station was located in a deep cut with no road leading to it so freight had to be lowered down a slide.
- In the early 1850s a branch line was built to Galt. Harrisburg grew and a town site was laid out before it was discovered there was not enough water to service both a town and the locomotives.
- The Great Western Railway moved its terminal to Hamilton. In 1882 the Grand Trunk Railway took over the line and built a new station at Harrisburg, this time with a roadway leading to it.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/harrisburg