19445 Yonge St.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : York, Durham and Hills of Headwaters
- Pop. 8,284. In East Gwillimbury T., Reg. Mun. of York, on the E branch of the Holland R. just E of C. Rd. 1, 54 km N of Toronto.
- John Evesin began operating a sawmill in 1808, and the place was surveyed in 1811 by a Mr. Wilmot.
- It was known as Beverly, St. Albans, The Landing, Lower Landing, Old Soldier's Landing, and Steamboat Landing before the post office opened in 1831 as Holland Landing.
- The name honours Maj. Samuel Holland, surveyor general of Quebec in the late 18th century. Samuel Lount was a prosperous farmer at Holland Landing and a reform politician.
- He was in joint command of Mackenzie's rebel forces when they were defeated at Montgomery's Tavern in 1837. Lount was convicted of treason and executed the following year.
- Holland Landing was settled mainly by Dutch immigrants, who drained 8,000 acres (3,240 ha) of black muck and turned it into agricultural black gold.
- When Hurricane Hazel struck in 1954, Holland Marsh disappeared under 20 to 30 feet (6 to 9 m) of water, which also destroyed the nearby village of Ansnorveldt.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/hollandlanding