15 Thorold Lane
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : The Great Waterway
- Pop. 1,894. In Osnabruck T., Stormont, Dundas, and Glengarry Cs., on the St. Lawrence R. and C. Rds. 2 & 14, 24 km W of Cornwall.
- The community was established as a result of the flooding of the St. Lawrence R. shore in 1957 by the St. Lawrence Seaway project and represents the union and relocation of the former communities of Aultsville, Farran's Point, Dickinson Landing, and Wale
- During the planning stages it was known as New Town No.1. (NewTown No.2 was Long Sault.) Before their sites were inundated, Aultsville was on the St. Lawrence shore on C. Rd. 2, 29 km W of Cornwall; Wales was 19 km W of Cornwall.
- (Wales was named in 1860 after a visit by the Prince of Wales;) Farran's Point and Dickinson Landing were, respectively, 24 and 18 km W of Cornwall.
- Choosing a name for residents of the 'amalgamated' community was proving divisive as most residents wanted to retain the original name of their community.
- Osnabruck T. Reeve Thorold Lake had noticed the name Ingleside on one of the houses and proposed it to the township council as a name for the new community. His suggestion was accepted by council- and the residents.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/inglesideontario