Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : The Great Waterway
- Pop. 1,278. In Matilda T., Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry Cs., on the N bank of the St. Lawrence R. and C. Rd. 2, 18 km. NE of Prescott.
- The village was the largest residential and business community along the St. Lawrence R. to be entirely relocated during construction of the St. Lawrence Deep Waterway during the early 1950s.
- Its original location was across the Galop Canal from Iroquois Point, a headland famous in legend and history as a camping ground of the Iroquois.
- The point's proximity to the Canadian-U.S. mid-river boundary line caused it to be selected as the Canadian terminus of the international dam built to control water levels for the waterway.
- A new canal, cut through the headland to avoid the dam, turned Iroquois Point into a small island. The relocated town of Iroquois is north of the original site. United Empire Loyalists settled the place in 1776.
- The post office, established in 1789 in what was then New France, was called Matilda after the township. In 1812 the first British fort on the site had not been completed, or named.
- A second fort was built on the riverbank in 1814, but U.S. troops did not attack, so the fort was nicknamed 'Fort Needless.' In 1856 the post office name was changed to Iroquois.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/iroquois