2809 Prince William
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Niagara Falls and Wine Country
- Pop. 227. Part of the Town of Lincoln, Reg. Mun. of Niagara, on Twenty Mile Cr. and C. Rd. 81, 8 km. W of St. Catharines.
- . The first settlers, in the 1780s, were United Empire Loyalists, including some members of the famed Butler's Rangers who fought for the British in the American Revolution.
- In 1784 the British government bought land in the Jordan area from the First Nations Peoples and granted it to Loyalists and soldiers.
- In 1799 Mennonite settlers from the United States, including Amos Albright and Jacob and Abraham Meyer, bought some of the land from Lt.-Col. John Butler, and by 1800,25 families had moved to the area and formed Canada's fIrst Mennonite settlement.
- Ball's Falls, a nearby scenic spot where Twenty Mile Cr. drops over the Niagara Escarpment, was the site of one of Jordan's earliest industries.
- Here Mr. Ball built the fIrst mill, which was protected by soldiers during the War of 1812. The settlement was fIrst called Twenty Mile Creek and then St. Mary's.
- When the post office opened in 1840, the community was given the biblical name Jordan, presumably by William Bradt, an early merchant, magistrate, and postmaster.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/jordan