2809 Prince William
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Niagara Falls and Wine Country
- Pop. 400. Part of the Town of Lincoln, Reg. Mun. of Niagara, 1 km. S of the QEW, 10 km. E of St. Catharines.
- The first Mennonites known to have settled in Canada took up land west of the mouth of Twenty Mile Cr. in 1799.
- By the end of the century, a settlement of about 25 families from Pennsylvania was established near present-day Vineland and Jordan.
- In 1801 the frrst Mennonite congregation in Canada was organized. Jordan Station began as Bridgeport, named after the Great Western Railway bridge, which crossed the Jordan R. near its mouth.
- When the post office was established in 1870, the community was renamed Jordan Station. Around the turn of the century, area farmers switched from grain to fruit growing.
- The first cannery opened in 1912, and for a time there were three large fruit shipping establishments, the last of which closed in 1958.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/jordanstation