6745 Rideau Valley Dr. S.,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Ottawa and Countryside
- Pop. 1,575. In Reg. Mun. of Ottawa-Carleton on the W bank of the Rideau R. and the N shore of Stevens Cr., on C. Rds. 6 & 13,37 km S of Ottawa.
- North Gower T. was surveyed in 1791-93, and the fIrst settlers were Irish squatters John and Ellen O'Callaghan in 1815.
- In 1820 two men named Merrick and Stevens scouted the area for its lumbering potential, but that venture ended when Stevens drowned in the creek that bears his name.
- In 1829 James Lindsay built a wharf and the place was called Lindsay's Wharf. In 1856 Provincial Land Surveyor H. O. Wood was hired to survey a village site, which he named Wellington after the Duke of Wellington.
- A place by that name existed in Ontario, so the name was changed to Kars when the post office opened.
- The name honours the people of Kars, Turkey, for defending their city against the Russians in 1855 during the Crimean War.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/kars