Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Southwestern
- Pop. 360. In Reg. Mun. of Haldimand Norfolk on L. Erie and C. Rd. 59,48 km SW of Simcoe.
- The place was first recorded in 1670 when Sulpician missionaries Francois Dollier de Casson and Rene de Brehant de Galmee portaged across the peninsula near the present community.
- From that time on, the portage was used steadily until a storm in 1833 broke a navigable passage through the neck of land.
- From 1802 until 1816 the place was called Charlotteville and was capital of the London District and defended by Fort Norfolk. In 1816 the courthouse burned and the capital was moved inland to what is now Vittoria.
- Rd. 59 continues east past Long Point to the entrance to Long Point Provincial Park, popular with naturalists because of its sand dunes and marsh areas and because it like Point Pelee and Pelee Island is another migratory flyway for birds & butterflies.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/longpoint