Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : The Great Waterway
- Pop. 465. In Augusta T., Leeds and Grenville Cs., on the St. Lawrence R. and C. Rds. 2 & 15, 8 km. NE of Brockville.
- At Pointe au Barril (or Baril) on the outskirts of Maitland, a plaque marks the former site of a shipyard were the last ships to defend the river for France were built.
- The six-acre (2.4 ha) shIpyard, budt by the French shortly after the British captured Fort Frontenac in 1758, was surrounded by a 12-foot-high (3.65 m) wall of upended logs.
- In 1759 the last two French warships, the lroquoise and the Outaouaise, were launched. The frrst civilian community was founded by Ziba Phillips in 1818 and named Oswegatchie.
- The place was also known as Johnstown and Lower Selma. When the post office was established in 1828, it was named Maitland after Sir Peregrine Maitland, lieutenant-governor of Upper Canada 1818-1828.
- One of the oldest churches in the Anglican Diocese ofOntarlo is the Gothic Revival-style St. James' started in 1826 and consecrated in 1830.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/maitland