15 Main N.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : The Great Waterway
- Pop. 853. In Kenyon T., Stormont, Dundas, and Glengarry Cs., on C. Rds. 20 & 22, 63 km. SE of Ottawa.
- Many of the settlers came from Perthshire, Scotland, where from 1810 to 1815 there were almost continuous crop failures. Duncan P. MacDougall built the first home and a mill in 1869.
- So many settlers were 'Macs' that the place was frrst named Mac's Corners and then Macsville. One story is that the four comers of the settlement were each farmed by a Mac, each of whom donated 160 acres (64.75 ha) for a townsite.
- early days the Campbells of Athol were the mail carriers, bringing the mail on horseback three times a week.
- The rider reached Macsville after midnight and since he often fell asleep and passed through the town without stopping, residents took turns watching for him.
- They soon demanded a post office. When it opened in 1880, it was called Maxville. Just north ofMaxville on C. Rd. 20 is Glengarry Congregational Church.
- The church is the oldest remaining Congregationalist chapel in Ontario.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/maxville