20 Hillside St.,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Northeastern Ontario
- Pop. 247. Part of the Town of Iroquois Falls, Cochrane Dist., on a tributary of the Black R. and Hwy 577, 1 km NE ofHwy II, 14 km S of Iroquois Falls.
- The place was first known as Driftwood City and later named Monteith after Ontario agriculture minister Samuel Monteith, who in 1908 chose the site for a provincial experimental and demonstration farm.
- In 1920 the farm became Monteith Academy, a boarding school that supplied secondary education to Northern Ontario at a time when there were few high schools.
- . It later became an industrial farm for young offenders and in 1940 served as an internment camp for 5,000 war prisoners. In 1947 the institution reverted to being a reform institution.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/monteith