PO Box 470,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Ottawa and Countryside
- Pop. 1,466. In the Reg. Mun. of Ottawa-Carleton, on C. Rd. 45, 37 km. SW of Ottawa.
- When the post office was established in 1864, some residents wanted to call their community Tubman's Corners after the first postmaster in the area.
- There were many settlers of Irish origin, so the name eventually chosen was Munster after a province in southern Ireland.
- UPDATE: September 2016
- The village of Munster, in the rural southwestern corner of the present-day City of Ottawa (former Goulbourn Township), was christened with that name in 1870 by prominent early pioneer, and the area’s first postmaster, Thomas Tubman.
- An immigrant from County Cavan, in Ireland, the entrepreneurial Tubman had settled down at the intersection of today’s Bleeks and Munster Side Roads – the country crossroads around which the earliest settlement of Munster grew – in the 1818-20 timeframe.
- It’s reported a member of the Canadian Parliament of the Confederation era wanted to bestow the honour of naming the little community after the postmaster himself;
- but Mr. Tubman declined it – preferring to commemorate the Irish kingdom of Munster and its environs – from which many of the early settlers and ex-military men of Goulbourn had come.
- From: http://goulbournhistoricalsociety.org/munster
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/munster