Ontario Tourism Region : The Great Waterway
- Pop. 657. In Camden East T., Lennox and Addington Cs., on the Napanee R., 11 km N of Napanee and C. Rds. 11, 17 & 27, 30 km NW of Kingston.
- Newburgh was once the largest incorporated village in Ontario. The first of a number of sawmills was built in 1824, and the place was known as The Hollow.
- When three Americans with shady business practices moved in, the name was changed to Rogue's Hollow. One of the Americans was influential, and when the post office opened in 1846, he had it named Newburg after his hometown on the Hudson R. in New York.
- The 'H' was added in 1862. In 1887 a fire destroyed all ofN ewburgh' s stores and numerous homes, a total of 84 buildings; within the year, 66 structures had been rebuilt.
- In 1872, brothers John and James Thomson from New Jersey, established the Newburgh Paper Mills, using their revolutionary process for producing paper from wood pulp.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/newburgh