103 Main St.,
Ontario Tourism Region : The Great Waterway
- Pop. 1,162. In Ernestown T., Lennox and Addington Cs., on Millhaven Cr., and C. Rds. 2 & 4, just S of Hwy 401, 23 km. W of Kingston.
- Joshua Booth, a United Empire Loyalist, was the first recorded landowner. He arrived with Jessup's Rangers in 1784. The Rangers were a Loyalist force raised in 1776 in the neighbourhood of Albany by Edward Jessup (1735-1816).
- John Link built a grist mill in 1830, and the post office opened as Mill Creek in 1838.
- The name was changed to Odessa by postmaster Parker Smith Timmerman in 1855 to commemorate the 1854 siege by the British during the Crimean War of the Russian city Odessa.
- Timmerman was postmaster for six decades and revolutionized early mail handling by proposing the central sorting of mail and use of small bags for each distribution point. Prior to this, mail was carried in one large bag and resorted at each stop.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/odessa