4596 Old Springs Line
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Southwestern
- Pop. 737. In Enniskillen T., Lambton C., on Black Cr., and C. Rd. 21, 48 km. SE of Sarnia.
- The first commercial oil well in North America started production in 1857 when J. M. Williams of Hamilton struck free oil in an excavated well. Later that year Williams built Canada's frrst oil refinery.
- The community, surveyed for settlement by W. H. Donnelly in 1832, was frrst called Black Creek because ofa black, oily substance floating on the creek's water. The early settlers, who arrived in 1842, used the black gummy substance for medicinal purposes
- The frrst gushing oil well began producing in 1861, and the oil stampede was on. The village was brightly lighted by fluid lamps; there were nine hotels, several saloons, and 12 general stores.
- A toll plank road connected Black Creek to Sarnia, and stage coaches ran four times daily. In 1859 Black Creek was renamed Oil Springs. The Oil Museum of Canada, with a working oil well on the property, is an educational resource and tourist attraction.
Natural Resources Canada in the County of Lambton.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/oilsprings