5630 Main St.,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Ottawa and Countryside
- Pop. 1,300. In the Reg. Mun. of Ottawa-Carleton, 48 km SE of Ottawa. One of the fIrst settlers was Archibald McDonnell of Cornwall, who had been an officer in the Glengarry Militia before the War of 1812.
- During the war he was promoted to the post of deputy assistant adjutant-general on the staff of the general commanding the forces along the S1, Lawrence frontier.
- He was often required to carry urgent military dispatches and on occasion stayed in the saddle for two days and two nights, sometimes literally riding his horse to death.
- For his services he was granted 800 acres (324 ha) of land in Osgoode T., established in 1798 and named after then chief justice of Upper Canada, William Osgoode.
- The post office was established as Osgoode Station in 1881, and in 1962 the name was shortened to Osgoode.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/osgoode