Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Huron, Perth, Waterloo and Wellington
- Pop. 2,215. In Minto T., Wellington C., and Wallace T., Perth C., on the Maitland R. and C. Rds. 5,93 & 123, 70 km NW of Guelph.
- The first settler was Thomas McDowell, a native of Ireland, who arrived in 1854. The place was called Dryden when the post office opened in 1866.
- In 1872, at the suggestion of Township Reeve John McDermott, the community was renamed Palmerston to honour Henry John Temple, Lord Palmerston, prime minister of Great Britain 1855-1865.
- In 1855 the Ontario Vaccine Farm was set up by local physician Dr. Alexander Stewart. It was the fIrst institution in Ontario to produce smallpox vaccine. In 1916 the operation was transferred to the University of Toronto.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/palmerston