74 James St.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Muskoka, Parry Sound and Algonquin Park
- Pop. 232. In Cowper T., Parry Sound Dist., on Parry I. in Parry Sound off Georgian Bay, 13 km. SW of Parry Sound.
- The community takes its name from that of the district, named after Arctic explorer Sir Edward Parry. On Parry I. at Depot Harbour is the largest of Ontario's 300 ghost towns.
- Depot Harbour was founded over 100 years ago by timber baron John Rudolphus Booth, who built a rail line from Ottawa through Algonquin Park to Georgian Bay.
- When the railway reached Parry Sound, Booth refused to pay the inflated property prices residents demanded, so he built his own town on the island just south of Parry Sound.
- The population reached 3,000 before Booth sold his railway to CNR, which moved the railhead to Parry Sound in 1928.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/parryisland