150 King St.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Kawartha and Northumberland
- Pop. 68,748. City in Peterborough C., on both banks of the Otonabee R., part of the Trent Canal System, and Hwys 7 & 115, 135 km. NE of Toronto.
- When the first settler, Adam Scott, arrived in 1821 to build a mill, the place was known by the First Nations Peoples as Nogojiwanong, 'the place at the end of the rapids.'
- For a time the settlement was called Indian Plain, and then was known as Scott's Plains, Scott's Mills, and Scott's Landing.
- In 1825, in an effort to alleviate poverty and starvation in Ireland, the British government sponsored a settlement of Irish families in the area.
- Under the supervision of Peter Robinson, about 2,000 people from County Cork were established in the region in what became known as the Robinson Settlement. In 1829 the post office opened as Peterborough, in honour of Peter Robinson.
- In 1870, Jonathan Stephenson built the first basswood canoe, now known as the Peterborough Canoe and still in production. The incandescent lamp, invented by Thomas Edison, led to formation ofthe Edison Electric Co., in Peterborough in 1890.
- Two years later the company changed its name to Canadian General Electric Co. A plaque in Fleming Park recalls Sir Sandford Fleming (1827-1915), who came from Scotland in 1845 and settled in Peterborough.
- Of his many achievements he is likely best known as the inventor of Standard Time, the universal system for reckoning time, which was adopted in 1884.
- The city's trademark is the world's highest Lift Lock on the Trent Canal, which lifts vessels -- and the water in which they're floating -- 65 feet (19.8 m).
- The Hunter Street Bridge spanning the Otonabee R. is the longest unreinforced concrete bridge in the world, and Centennial Fountain in Little L. is the highest jet fountain in Canada, shooting water 250 feet (76 m) into the air.
Natural Resources Canada in Peterborough County.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/peterborough