Ontario Tourism Region : Southwestern
- Pop. 5,398. Part of the City of Nanticoke, Reg. Mun. of Haldimand-Norfolk, on L. Erie at the mouth of the Lynn R. and Hwy 6 and C. Rds. 5 & 6, 13 km SE of Simcoe.
- French Sulpician missionaries wintered on the site in 1669-1670, but no settlers came for more than a century.
- In the early 1800s United Empire Loyalists began to arrive. Daniel McQueen built a dam and a mill near a ford across the River Lynn, and the site became known as Dover Mills or Dover, after the English port of Dover.
- In 1814 Port Dover and nearby Ryerse's Mills, now Port Ryerse, were destroyed in a raid by 800 American soldiers led by Lt.-Col. John Campbell. The raid was subsequently condemned by a U.S. Army court of inquiry, and the settlers began to rebuild.
- The post office was established as Port Dover in 1832. Port Dover has the world's largest fresh water fishing fleet.
- Postcards above used with permission from A Great Lakes Treasury of Old Postcards 2007 Lorenzo Marcolin, MD 176 pp. For Copies call the Huronia Museum 705 526 2844 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/portdoverontario