Ontario Tourism Region : Bruce Peninsula, Southern Georgian Bay and Lake Simcoe
- Pop. 6,618. In Saugeen T., Bruce C., on L. Huron and Mill Cr. and Hwy 21 and C. Rd. 17, 47 km SW of Owen Sound.
- The town is built on the site of a 14th-century Iroquois village. Archaeological excavations at the 'Nodwell' First Nations Peoples village site have yielded many stone tools, hunting weapons, and pottery vessels.
- Lachlan McLean, the first settler, built a tavern in 1849. He was followed by a number of settlers of German origin. The post office was established as Normanton in 1854.
- In 1874 the name was changed to Port Elgin to honour James Bruce, eighth Earl of Elgin, governor general of Canada 1847-1854.
- Port Elgin is Ontario's official weigh-in centre for the World Pumpkin Federation, a non-profit worldwide organization dedicated to the growing of giant pumpkins.
- Postcard above used with permission from A Great Lakes Treasury of Old Postcards 2007 Lorenzo Marcolin, MD 176 pp. For Copies call the Huronia Museum 705 526 2844 or email email@example.com
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/portelginontario