Ontario Tourism Region : Southwestern
- Pop. 846. In the Reg. Moo. of Haldimand-Norfolk, on Inner Bay off Long Point Bay of L. Erie and C. Rd. 42, 27 km. SW of Simcoe.
- The first settlers, the Backhouse family (later changed to Bachus), were operating a grist mill m the area in 1798.
- The mill, (made of hand hewn timbers and wooden pegs), the Backus home, and a number of other pioneer buildings moved to the site from the region, are open to the public.
- The hamlet was founded in 1819 by John Dutcher and first called Dutcher's Corners. It was renamed Port Rowan when the post office was established in 1845.
- The name honours Capt. William Rowan, secretary to Gov. Sir John Colborne in 1839. In November of 1854, Abigail Becker single-handedly rescued eight sailors from the icy waters of L. Erie when their schooner was wrecked in a fierce storm near Long Point.
- She received several awards and a personal letter from Queen Victoria for her action, which she maintained was just her 'duty.'
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/portrowanontario