Ontario Tourism Region : Southwestern
- Pop. 2,499. In Yarmouth T., Elgin C., on L. Erie at the mouth of Kettle Cr. and C. Rds. 4, 20 & 24, 14 km. S of St. Thomas.
- French explorer Louis Jolliet visited in 1669, when the place was known by the Iroquois as Kanagio and by the Ojibwa as Akiksibi.
- The French named it Riviere-de-Ia-Chaudiere. Col. Thomas Talbot stayed in the area briefly in the very early 1800s and granted two shoreline lots to his friend Col. John Bostwick, who settled here with his family in 1804.
- Another early settler was Squire Samuel Price, who alternated serving customers in his store with dispensing justice in an attached courtroom.
- In 1822 a road was completed between Port Stanley and London, and the following year the settlement was named Port Stanley after Edward George Geoffrey Smith Stanley, Earl of Derby, who had visited the harbour while staying with Col. Thomas Talbot.
- The London and Port Stanley Railway, opened in 1856 and closed for a number of decades, now operates excursions between Port Stanley, Union, and St. Thomas.
- Postcards above used with permission from A Great Lakes Treasury of Old Postcards 2007 Lorenzo Marcolin, MD 176 pp. For Copies call the Huronia Museum 705 526 2844 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/portstanley