212 Howey St,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Northwest Ontario
- Pop.4,873. In Red Lake T., Kenora Dist., on the S shore of Red L. at the N terminus ofHwy 105, 169 km. N of Vermilion Bay, 94 km. NE of Kenora.
- The townsite was a canoe route stop in 1786. The Northwest Company established a post in 1821. Rich gold deposits were discovered on the shore of 71-square-mi. (184 sq. km.)
- Red L. in 1925 by two brothers named Howey and George McNeeley along with W. F. Morgan. News of the discovery brought hundreds of gold seekers with dog teams, and 10,000 claims were staked.
- Between 1930 and 1968, more than $300 million worth of gold was mined.
- The community was named after the lake which, according to First Nations Peoples legend, got its name when a giant moose, shot dead by a hunter's arrow, fell into the water, where it bled for many days, colouring the lake red.
- Red rocks in the area, when crushed and mixed with grease, provided war paint for the First Nations Peoples.
Natural Resources Canada in the District of Kenora.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/redlake