Ontario Tourism Region : Huron, Perth, Waterloo and Wellington
- Pop. 2,506. In Eramosa T., Wellington C., on Hwy 7 and C. Rd. 27, 11 km NE of Guelph. The community, settled in the early 1800s, was first known as Brotherstown after three North brothers, a blacksmith, a wagon maker and a merchant.
- In 1848, early settler William Wetherald changed the name to Rockwood for the rocky, wooded area in which it is located. In 1850, Wetherald, a Quaker and native of England, opened a boarding school for boys.
- The school remained in operation for 32 years and was noted for its high academic standards. Some of its pupils included A. S. Hardy, Ontario's fourth premier; Sir Adam Beck, founder of Ontario Hydro, and James J. Hill, railway promoter and builder.
- In nearby Rockwood Park beneath a waterfall on the Speed R., there are some interesting potholes -- holes worn into solid rock by the water-driven revolutions of stones.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/rockwood