Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Ottawa and Countryside
- Pop. 3,648. In Russell T., Prescott and Russell Cs., on the Castor R and C. Rds. 3 & 6, 33 km. SE of Ottawa.
- The first settlers were John Mattice from Cornwall, who built a sawmill, and William Duncan from Baie des Chaleurs, QC who built an oatmeal mill.
- The place was first known as Castor (French for 'beaver') and then Russell, after the county, when the post office was established in 1848. The first postmaster was John Duncan, and in 1852 he managed to have the community's name changed to Duncanville.
- The post office name did not change however, and in 1900 the community's name was officially restored to Russell.
- Russell took its name from the county, named in 1792 to honour Peter Russell, administrator of Upper Canada between the departure of Lt.-Gov. John Graves Simcoe in 1796 and the appointment of Peter Hunter as Lt.-Gov. in 1799
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/russellontario