181 Townline St.,
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Southwestern
- Pop. 383. In Walsingham T., Norfolk C., on C. Rds. 16 & 42, 45 km SE of Tillsonburg. The first settlers, in the early 1800s, were the Cope family, after which the settlement was first known as Cope's Landing.
- In 1831 the post office was established as Walsingham after the township. In 1869 the name was changed to St. Williams after William Gillaspey, an early settler.
- The first provincial forest nursery in Canada was established in 1908 on 100 acres (40.5 ha) of wind-eroded, sandy soil, largely through the efforts of conservationist Edmund Zavitz.
- The nursery now covers more than 4,000 acres (1,620 ha) and produces millions of seedlings annually for reforestation projects across the province.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/stwilliams