Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Northwest Ontario
- Pop. 1,968. In Thunder Bay Dist. on the N shore of L. Superior and Bwy 17, 94 km. SE of Nipigon.
- The place was first called Isbester's Landing, after a Col. Isbester, who landed troops here in 1869, en route to subdue the Red River Rebellion.
- The CPR tracks reached here by 1885, and a settlement began about 2 mi. (3 km.) inland, on the site of the railway construction camp.
- The place was named Schreiber after Sir Collingwood Schreiber, then engineer-in-chief of the CPR and later deputy minister ofthe federal Department of Railways and Canals.
- A town hall, built in 1885, provided a public library, auditorium, barber shop -- and the first bathtubs in Schreiber, which could be rented for 25 cents a night.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/schreiber