38 King St. E.
Take Control of this Listing
Increase traffic to this record by adding photos, videos, and embedded social media feeds.
Ontario Tourism Region : Hamilton, Halton, and Brant
- Pop. 54,166. Town in the Reg. Mun. of Hamilton-Wentworth on L. Ontario at the mouth of Stoney Cr. and the QEW immediately SE of the City of Hamilton.
- The first settlers were United Empire Loyalists. The place was a hamlet with one store when the War of 1812 broke out, and it became the site of a famous battle.
- In the Battle of Stoney Creek in 1813 an attacking force of 2,000 Americans was captured by700 British troops under the command of Lt. Col. John Harvey.
- The British captured two American brigadier-generals, Chandler and Winder. The battle was considered the turning point that prevented American troops from overrunning Canada.
- Battlefield House, where Mary Gage tended the wounded of both sides, was the Gage home and is now a museum.
- Stoney Creek was the birthplace of the Women's Institute, formed by Erland Lee, a founder of the Farmer's Institute, assisted by his wife and Mrs. Adelaide Hunter-Hoodless.
- In 1913 the Battle of Stoney Creek was marked by unveiling a monument in Battle-field Park. The unveiling was done by Queen Mary who pushed a button in England and sent an electrical impulse here.
- The place is believed to have taken its name from Stony Creek, since there was a post office by that name in 1827, the same year the 'e' was inserted.
- Some historians contend that the name came from early settlers Jim Stoney, a trapper, and Edmund Stoney, an Anglican minister.
Address of this page: http://www.stirling.ruralroutes.com/stoneycreek